Welcome to Fairfield’s IB International Program:
Please download the updated All About IB guide. This document will provide detailed information about HCPS IB policies and important documents.
You have questions? We have answers! Please use this FAQ link as a guide. Email the FMS IB Coordinator, Cara Sederbaum, with any other questions
Service As Action (SAA) Information:
Updated information regarding Service as Action for the 2020-21 school year will be forthcoming
Download as SAA Log here
Resources for SAA Ideas:
Additional Community + Service Ideas
Be sure to check this website for any scheduled C + S events. To spark your interest and ideas, here are some of the great activities Fairfield Falcons have engaged in:
- writing letters to military personnel and seniors in Assisted Learning centers;
- contributing to YMCA-sponsored community events;
- creating a Pet-A-Thon or walk-a-thon to support the SPCA or other worthy charities;
- organizing a neighborhood clean-up;
- coordinating a blanket drive for the SPCA;
- collecting pop-tops for Ronald McDonald House;
- embroidering pillow cases or creating jewelry to sell for charity;
- knitting caps for cancer patients;
- organizing a Saturday tutoring program;
- participating in Buddy Ball programs;
- coaching younger players in sports;
- working with elementary school teachers;
- tutoring younger children in reading and math, and so on . . .
IB Assessment Scores
We are proud to be an IB World School, which means we uphold the highest standards and practices for IB schools across the globe. A key component of teaching and learning through IB is assessment based on IB objectives and criteria. Your child will complete at least one IB assessment per unit of instruction in each subject, and those tasks will be scored based on subject-specific IB rubrics that have clear descriptors for each score. We will provide and review the rubric(s) for each task as it is assigned, and you will be able to find them in your child’s notebook and/or on Schoology. In PowerSchool, you will notice that some assignments are listed as “IB Assess Criterion (A, B, C, or D)”, might be entered multiple times for the different criteria assessed, and have scores ranging from 0 to 8 rather than 0 to 100. These IB scores represent current performance levels and, if viewed over the course of the year, are a gauge of your child’s development of subject-based skills, concepts, and content per criterion. As IB scores, these entries into PowerSchool do not factor into your child’s average (you will see an asterisk that notes this next to each IB score). We believe that students deserve credit for their assignments; therefore, the same task will be entered as a Henrico County grade out of 100% that does average into their quarterly grades. As you view the IB and HCPS scores, we encourage you to talk with your child about his/her performance and development in the IB subject areas, using the rubrics and assessment directions to guide your conversations. Please don’t hesitate to contact your child's teacher or our IB coordinator if you have any questions about IB assessment tasks, scoring, or HCPS grades.